GETTING READY FOR COLLEGE ONE YEAR AT A TIME
** Steps to College: A Quick Overview of the Recruiting Timeline **
8th Grade Year MS
* Research & start a list of colleges you're interested in. Aim to begin writing college coaches during your freshman year of HS.
* Work on study and time management skills, important to get good grades beginning with Freshman year of HS!
* Character matters, make good choices … every day. Learn to be very careful of what you put on social media.
* Play at the highest level of club team you can. Ask your current coach what you need to do athletically to compete well at the HS level. 14U
Freshman Year HS
* Continue your research & compile an initial list of 20 to 30 schools you're interested in. Rank schools based on the attributes that are most important to you
*Begin writing coaches of schools you're interested in, get on their radars and get your name out there!
* Play at the highest level of club/HS team you can. Ask your coaches where you need improvement and set goals.
* Look for College camps and clinics to attend.
* Good grades are critical ALL 4 years of HS - hit the ground running freshman year!
* Consider working with a personal trainer to improve speed, strength and overall athleticism.
Sophomore Year HS
* Register with NCAA & NAIA eligibility Centers, complete recruiting questionnaires for all schools on your list.
* Begin compiling highlight & game videos, consider setting up a channel within YouTube.
* Continue to research and update your list and write coaches & schools. Send videos and/or links to videos.
* Consider working with a speech coach to develop and improve communications skills - make a good first impression when you talk to coaches
* Begin making phone calls to coaches, let them know your game / meet / match schedule - stay on their radars!
* Take SAT / ACT practice tests and/or test prep courses, keep your grades up.
* Pick a good attitude and show it. Recognize that nothing is owed to you just because you're a good athlete.
Juniors Year HS
* Continue to research schools but narrow your list to 10 to 15 schools.
* Keep in contact with coaches often , let them know of your continued interest and also if you're no longer interested.
* Continue to send videos & grades to schools you are interested in. Be your own advocate & keep your name out there!
* Ask coaches where you stand on their recruiting list and their timeline.
* Take SAT/ACT Tests.
* Look to attend Showcase games and tournaments and let coaches know your schedule.
* Continue to play at the highest level of club/HS team you can. Get feedback on where you can improve skills.
* Make unofficial visits to schools you're interested in.
* Take AP courses, challenge yourself academically!
Senior Year HS
* Narrow your list of schools to 3 to 5, stay in contact with coaches on a weekly basis.
* Ask coaches for the timeline in which they will make offers.
* Quickly let schools know if you're no longer interested
* Contact players on your short list of schools, get their direct feedback on the school and program.
* Take official visits to schools on your short list, meet coaches and players.
* Complete FAFSA form, get college applications in early and apply to all schools on your short list.
* Keep your grades up - avoid Senior Slump!
* Character is key, make good choices every day. Who are you when no one is looking?
* Post nothing on social media you may later regret. Don't let a 100 character tweet cost you a $100,000 scholarship!
* Receive, consider and respond to all written offers from schools
* Make the decision - make sure it's your decision!
Footnote: Reference information from http://www.scholarshipstats.com/beachvolleyball.html
More coming soon!